How to Get the Best Life Insurance Rate
|Insurance companies request medical examinations to provide them with a snapshot of your current health condition. This information is then used to determine your insurability for mortgage life and/or regular life insurance.
Prepare for Your Insurance Exam
Abnormal findings can create problems in obtaining the best coverage or in getting any mortgage or life insurance coverage at all. In addition, any irregular findings during a medical exam may interfere with future applications as well. It is in everybody’s best interest that this snapshot be as accurate as possible, eliminating as many false abnormalities as possible.
Some abnormal exam findings are indicative of a problem known or unknown to you. These are the results the insurance company looks for, as they represent a more accurate picture of your current insurability. Unfortunately there are also “false positive” results which cloud the picture, making it harder for you to get the best rate. Just as you would spruce yourself up for a family photo, these tips can help you make sure you present is the best picture possible.
Here are a few tips:
- Get a good night’s rest the night before the exam
- Do not exercise 12 to 18 hours before the exam
- Do not consume any form of alcohol for at least 8 hours before exam
- If possible, fast for 8-12 hours before the blood profile
- Do not consume any form of caffeine, food or beverage (except water) for at least 2 hours before the exam
- Do not smoke for at least 1 hour before the exam
- If you are taking prescription medication you should have it ready for reference at the exam
- If you are taking over the counter medication , make sure you inform the examiner
- Drink 8 ounces of water 1 hour before the exam
- Make sure you are prepared for your exam
- Reschedule the appointment if you are under any stress the day of the exam